This is my express version which I cook in large batches for the upcoming working week. The good thing about this dish that it can bes stored in the freezer for future use. Ideally let it thaw and heat over very low flame.
The super quick version is to nuke it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes at highest setting. stir, heat it for an additional 2 minutes and let it rest for 1 minute. Done.
1/2 kg beef brisket or short ribs
(I like to use NZ grass-fed cubed beef from tenderloin.hk.com)
15 g (2 cloves) garlic
160 g ( 2 smallish) onion
440 g (5 medium) tomatoes
400 g sweet potatoes
200 g carrots
40 g bacon
100 g red bell pepper
100 g green bell pepper
2 tbs coconut oil
- To ensure quick cooking time trim the beef. Cut into smaller pieces. Preferably into strips 1 cm thick, 3-4 cm long. Cut through the muscle fibre not along. You will notice the difference since cutting through muscle fibre is harder than along. That way the meat will be less chewy. Season with garlic powder, sea salt, turmeric and pepper.
- Cut bacon into small pieces
- Crush, peel and mince the garlic
- Peel and chop the onions.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes.
- Clean and wash potatoes. Peel, rinse and rub with salt. Do not chop yet.
- Peel carrots. Cut in small cubes 1 x 1 cm max
- Seed and slice red and green bell peppers into 1 cm squares.
- Place sweet potatoes on plate and place in microwave. You can either cook it for 3 minutes on highest setting and then place in oven for 10 minutes for 150 °C. Or cook it entirely in microwave for 5 minutes on highest grill-microwave setting/ microwave setting ca. 850 W. Let it cool.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking add coconut oil to a skillet and let it heat up. Stir fry meat. Do not stir fry everything at once to avoid water accumulating. Stir-fry in 3 batches until browned and cooked through. Do not allow meat essence remaining on bottom of pan to burn and turn black.
- Remove the meat, set aside and add a cup of water into the pan to dissolve meat residue at bottom. Pour stock into bowl and set aside to make sauce later.
- Heat bacon in wok or pot until crispy. Set bacon aside. Leave rendered bacon fat in wok/ pot.
- By now the sweet potatoes should be cool enough to slice. Take a third and slice into small pieces. Cut the rest into chunkier pieces.
- Add a bit of coconut oil to a wok or pot in necessary. Sauté carrots until cooked. Add garlic, onion and tomatoes to sauté. Add beef, bacon, reserved stock, sweet potatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes and then add bell peppers. Continue cooking until peppers are done and sauce has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper
Serve hot. If desired serve with hot sauce.