I'm lucky to be friends with curious foodies who also luuuuuv their coffee. They introduced me to Vietnamese coffee which is brewed with a metal French drip filter.
I found that Prizemart sells Viet coffee for cheap and I have a cup almost every day and never looked back.
Just recently I stumbled over a Lonely Planet article about future food trends. And it mentioned Vietnamese egg coffee. So I googled some recipes and tweaked it to my own taste and Paleo needs.
Most of you have already heard of bulletproof coffee which uses butter instead of milk. Well, this cup of Jo has an egg yolk and cream in it. The extra protein makes the coffee rich and creamy.
And I must tell you this stuff is a great pick-me-up when you are going through your typical afternoon-low and there is no time and place for a power nap.
Usually we experience that kind of low when our blood sugar drops and we get tired and start craving something sweet. Good news: This stuff gets you going. The caffeine gives your metabolism a boost and the cream egg froth mixed in the coffee is deliciously satiating and helps to counter any pesky sugar cravings.
What you need:
- 5 tablespoons of cold cream
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- cold 1 egg yolk
- Put 3 heaped teaspoons (20g) of ground Viet coffee into the filter. I use Trung Nguyen Coffee 5 Creative.
- Brew Viet coffee as showed in the video link but without the condensed milk.
- In the meantime crack an egg and separate the yolk from the white. Set the white aside for something else
- Whisk the cream, salt and yolk to a frothy mix. Make you whisk everything once you take everything out of the fridge. It's easier to whip cream when cold.
- Pour the mix slowly over the coffee.
- Add some cinnamon if you like
Sometimes I even add another shot of cream. Give it a try and let me know what you think.